How to Report a Cyber Crime in India
In this article we will tell you about How to Report a Cyber Crime in India in detail , so lets start :
Cyber Crime in India refers to a crime done with the primary use of internet technology & computer. With the rise in cyber crime, there has been a need to protect oneself from such crimes and know How to Report a Cyber Crime in India before it is too late. This post will help you to understand How to Report a Cyber Crime in India.
What is Cyber Crime ?
Cyber crime is defined as a crime in which a computer is the object of the crime (hacking, phishing, spamming) or is used as a tool to commit an offense (child pornography, hate crimes). Cybercriminals may use computer technology to access personal information, business trade secrets or use the internet for exploitative or malicious purposes. Criminals can also use computers for communication and document or data storage. Criminals who perform these illegal activities are often referred to as hackers.
Cyber crime may also be referred to as computer crime.
Common types of cyber crime include online bank information theft, identity theft, online predatory crimes and unauthorized computer access. More serious crimes like cyber terrorism are also of significant concern.
Cyber crime encompasses a wide range of activities, but these can generally be broken into two categories :
- Crimes that target computer networks or devices
These types of crimes include viruses and denial-of-service (DoS) attacks.
- Crimes that use computer networks to advance other criminal activities
These types of crimes include cyber stalking, phishing and fraud or identity theft.
The FBI identifies cybercrime fugitives who have allegedly committed bank fraud and trafficked counterfeit devices that access personal electronic information. The FBI also provides information on How to Report a Cyber Crime in India, as well as useful intelligence information about the latest cybercriminals.
Quick tips for protecting yourself from Cyber crime
Now we are going to tell you some tips from people who can help us avoid getting caught in cyber crime –
Many times we get to see the open wifi network on the public place, many users connect their device thinking free. Many hackers easily steal the data using wifi, so do not use free wifi unless you are sure that the wifi you are going to use is secure.
Secure your computer
Always keep your computer safe, always use antivirus in the computer, as well as keeping the antivirus always updated. So that no viruses, Warm etc. could enter into you. Always use reputable antivirus.
Whenever you use a public place computer and you have to fill out bank details, always use the virtual keyboard so that no key logger can help you to know the id password.
To avoid a phishing attack, whenever you see the https before you log in to any account, if you get to see the https in the url, then you are secure. Especially note during bank-related transactions.
Types of Cyber Crimes
As per the cyber crime laws in India, many types of cyber crimes have been identified. Out of which, the prevalent six that one often gets to hear and deal with are as follows :
Hacking – It is one of the most common types of cyber crime in India. When a person breaks into somebody else’s computer virtually to have access to a person’s personal and sensitive information such as banking details, email accounts etc. With everything being digitized the risk of hacking has increased.
Cyber-stalking – After hacking, the majority of reported cyber crime online complaint or cyber crime cell complaint relates to cyber-stalking. It is the crime of online harassment by way of obscene messages and generally done against women. It is similar to offline stalking just done online.
Identity theft – In this type of cyber crime the criminal with the motive of siphon off the money of victim access the data of victim’s personal bank account, credit card, debit card and other sensitive information.
Cyber-bullying – When the internet, mobiles or social networks is used for harassing, defame, intimidate or harass a person then it is known as cyber-bullying.
Cyber terrorism – When a person is being threatened for extortion or anything else then it is the crime of cyber terrorism.
Child soliciting and abuse – When a child is solicited by a criminal purpose with the purpose of making child pornography.
Phishing, software piracy, and denial of service attack (DOS) are some of the other types of cyber crime cases in India that are reported.
For how to report a cyber crime in India, you can even consult a good cyber crime lawyer, who can help you file a cyber crime cell complaint. Or you can call on the cyber crime complaint number, to seek appropriate help for reporting any cyber crime telephonically.
Now I explain about How to Report a Cyber Crime in India. Read the full article below for better understand about How to Report a Cyber Crime in India –
How to Report a Cyber Crime in India ?
In order to give punishment for cyber crime in India, you must know about How to Report a Cyber Crime in India, and first & foremost step is to lodge complaints against cyber crime. You can report either to the cyber police or to the cyber cell India. Cyber crime cells in different cities have been established by the crime investigation departments for reporting and investigation of cyber crimes.
A complaint can be made to cyber police or crime investigation department either offline, online or by calling on cyber crime helpline number. The procedure of How to Report a Cyber Crime in India as follows:
Step 1: While filing a complaint, an application letter is addressed to the head of the cyber crime investigation cell, stating the facts of the complaint along with your name, address and contact number.
Step 2: To register the complaint, certain documents are to be attached or annexed with the complaint supporting the facts of the complaint. List of such documents varies according to the type of cyber crime against which the complaint is to be reported.
Documents for Reporting a Complaint of Hacking –
- Server logs
- If the website of the victim has been defaced then a copy of defaced web page in both soft copy and hard copy format and if the data has been hacked on either victim’s server, computer or any other equipment then a soft copy of original data as well as compromised data.
- Details of accessibility to a victim’s computer or email. This includes names of the person who had access to the victim’s computer or email.
- If the victim suspects someone then a list of such suspects.
- Other relevant information which answers the following questions –
- What has been compromised?
- Who might be responsible for this compromise?
- When the system did was compromised?
- What could be the reason for system compromise?
- Where is the impact of the attack-identifying the target system from the network?
- How many systems have been compromised by the attack?
Documents for email abuse or vulgar emails
- Headers of offending email
- Offending email’s soft as well as hard copy
- Copy of offending email from your inbox
- Offending email’s copy from your hard drive
To file a cyber crime cell complaint/cyber crime online complaint against the Identity theft such as if someone makes a fake profile for doing illegal or unlawful activities with cyber crime investigation cell or cyber police then the formal complaint stating all the facts and details must be supported with all the evidence against the impersonator (criminal responsible for identity theft).
Documents required for filing a complaint against the company who has committed fraud or duped you online –
- Product purchased from the company and its details
- Date and amount of purchase
- Details of the company such as its name, website and contact details of a company
- Facts how the company committed fraud or duped you
- If other people have similar complaints against the company then details of those complaints
- Any other relevant information.
Once you have gathered all the facts and information, this helps in judging the cyber crime punishment in India for each kind of offence.
Some essential things related to Cyber Crime Complaint
These are some essential things related to How to Report a Cyber Crime in India –
- If there is a cyber crime we can complain about it in any state or district of the country. You can report cyber crime in the cyber cell of the district or in any police station.
- You can dial the phone number issued by the government and also give cybercrime information to the police on the phone.
- While reporting the cyber crime, you must save the necessary evidence which is extremely necessary to do the investigation.
- While reporting cyber crime, you should tell all the facts to the officer. When registering the complaint, the officer should take a crime number and it helps us in further proceedings.
- Today, cyber cell has been formed in many districts, so you can report cyber crime in any cyber cell. Apart from this, if there is no cyber cell in that district, then you can give the information of crime as a first information report (Fir) to the SP officer in the nearby police station.
- It is the responsibility of any police station to register your complaint and no employee cans avoiding it for getting done in state or central government.
- In case of any complaint related to social media or if the account is hacked, there should be a screenshot or URL link to the website.
- If a person commits a cyber crime, even if you email, then you should keep that person’s email as proof
- If person are asking for money or if your personal information is being sought then you can take a screenshot of the email or number sent in the situation.
- If you can secretly take a copy of the message received in mobile if you have a money transaction with your bank.
If you like this post about How to Report a Cyber Crime in India so please like , comment and share this post with yours friends because in today’s time every people should aware from what is cyber crime and How to Report a Cyber Crime in India.