What is podcast and How do they work ?
Podcasts have become popular in recent times. The definition of this world is still not definitively clear in many minds. The podcast is defined in different ways, by using different words, by different people.
The best way to understand “what podcast is” is to first know it’s the point of derivation. This word was first used in a newspaper in 2004 by Ben Hammersley. This word was derived from the amalgamation of two words i.e. iPods by apple and radio broadcasts. The pod from iPod and cast from broadcast were combined as pod+ cast. This doesn’t really imply any compulsory usage of iPhone for listening to a podcast. They can, in fact, be heard on any device. Podcast in the most understandable definition can be explained as an audio recording which can be heard on demand.
How do they work ?
Podcasts don’t necessarily mean a single audio recording. They can be like a series of recordings or seasons of recording. A recording might be of different duration. The podcast might have a theme or can be random. They can be heard on a single place like a radio just on demand. You can download them or listen to them via the internet. This gives a level of comfort to people to listen to their favourite ones without missing out on any part or detail.
With the help of the broadcast part of the podcast, they are so easy to be distributed among the people who are interested in them. A podcast can be launched on many different platforms together with the help of simple internet technology. The RSS id used which stands for Really Simple syndication. This allows the individuals to easily subscribe to the podcast they like just by clicking on a single button. Another benefit of RSS is that it enables the users to press the button and be notified about the new releases immediately.
The best part of any podcast is that its on-demand. Radio broadcast has a time enabled to them and they can’t be heard once that time is passed. On the other hand, these podcasts remain available online. They can be heard any day, any time and anywhere. They can easily be downloaded and heard later according to the convenience of people.
One added benefit is for disabled people who can’t see. The podcast is a really great way for them to experience wide versatility of talents and interests via listening mode. They can hear different genes of podcasts and enjoy it.
How to create a podcast ?
The number of people listening to podcasts is increasing every day. It is easy to listen to podcasts while doing household chores, driving or other works. When we compare a podcast to a blog, podcasts create a better impact on people. There is a different level of connection that is established with the audience via podcast.
Talking about the connection, podcasts also have a wide area for new themes and ideas to be discovered and put forward. There are some steps that can help in the development of a good podcast :
- Developing a concept : Any podcast needs to work on a certain concept, so that’s the place, to begin with. There are many podcasts available on different concepts such as science, poetry, audiobooks, talks, storytelling, motivational and horror stories. Every podcast needs different concepts to work upon.
The attraction of people depends on the concept of the podcast and the way it is portrayed. The important questions while developing a podcast is to ask yourself “why do you need a podcast?” and “what is it’s the goal?” one these two questions are clear in your mind, you can move forward on the steps of designing and putting it on the go.
- Equipment and software : Podcast can be audio or video. Most of them is an only audio podcast. They have to be recorded in a way that the sound is clearly visible to the people. That’s why there is a need for some good quality equipment’s. Working software may include mac, windows or apple. The software might be needed for editing work and enhancement before uploading it on the different servers. You need a microphone to speak into for good quality voice recording.
- Planning and recording : When you record your first podcast it is important to create an outline around which the podcast work. It is also necessary to give it a proper beginning. Recording your first podcast decides a lot of things for the coming episodes. It can make good traffic if the beginning is good. People tend to return to the same podcast if the content interests them.
- Register yourself and upload the data after editing : After a carefully naming, planning and recording come to the last step. This step involves registering yourself on widely distributed networks among people such as Spotify, apple podcast and google podcast. Once you are registered you can upload your podcast directly or via some agent.
Are podcasts free ?
The availability of podcast varies from network to network. Some podcasts might be free everywhere whereas some podcasts are free on Spotify and not on apple podcasts and vice versa. It depends on the owners of the podcast and the broadcast services. Nowadays there are many free of cost podcast that is widely heard to by people and cherished.
Many podcasts are free, seamless and as easy as a one-step import. Some of the most prevalent podcast genres are as follows:
- Interview podcasts : As the very name in itself indicates these are talk shows wherein the host holds in-depth interviews of prominent figures in various fields, including arts and entertainment, culture, journalism, and world news. One most trending example of the same would be Fresh Air, The Joe Rogan Experience and Trained by Nike.
- Scripted non-fiction : With a blend of serials and variety of non-fictional storytelling scripted non-fiction podcasts hosts prefer to set their storyline on a particular theme for one full season. (Spoiler alert) And the stuff can be pretty addictive. Examples: Serial, Slow Burn, and Hardcore History.
- News recap : Explaining the economy with a story and surprises is just what you need to kick-start your day as you drive your way to work or sipping your morning coffee. This buys you a lot of time allowing you to do your stuff and keeps you hassle-free from rushing through the newspaper for your particular news. And folks I don’t need to remind you that time is money. Planet Money, Kickass News and The Daily are a few examples of the same.
- Educational podcasts : The target audience is generally teenagers or young adolescents. Educational podcasts are a subcategory of scripted non-fiction shows focusing on teaching and providing vast sources of knowledge and wisdom to their audience. Examples: Stuff You Should Know, Hidden Brain, and TED radio hour.
- Scripted fiction : Similar to radio dramas that are highly produced and are often scripted as the name in itself is a give-away is a source of quick fictional entertainment. Examples: Bubble by Maximum Fun, Limetown, and Everything Is Alive.